Although the name of the main blog is Tall Ship Adventures, there are many other adventures and journeys to take. This one takes a course off the water, across the country, to the small town of Santa Cruz, California, our new home. Check back here for adventures in upcoming matrimony, graduate school, and just plain cali fun. Enjoy!

Friday, June 02, 2006

Patagonia and rainforests


Hey all. Here are some shots of what has been going down in Santa Cruz. For the most part I have been working, and the highlight of my Patagonia life was the memorial day weekend sale. EXTREMELY busy, with a line at the door three hours before we opened and an hour wait to checkout at one point. Stressful, but we pimped that fleece and it was nice to clean out the backstock (which is my domain as the acting shipper/reciever). The picture is of the staff right before opening on the first day of the sale. From left to right: Meredith, Lane, me, Alan, and Liz. A great group of people, all in all.


Another Patagonia related shot, this is me manning the table at the premier of a new surf film "Lost Jewel of the Atlantic" during the Santa Cruz Film Festival. There is a big movement in Santa Cruz for a collalition called Save the Waves, which protects endangered surf spots from being destroyed by non environmental building practices. This film was by that group, and we have had a preview of it running in the store for weeks, until we could recite the lines and we would often proclaim along with the video: "Designed by the gods for the gods to surf!" The actual quote wasn't in the movie. I was disappointed, sort of.


I mentioned in a previous entry that I biked up to Henry Cowell Redwood State Park. Well, on memorial day I rode up again and brought my camera along. This shot was taken from the scenic bench along Pipeline Road (a verrrryy steep semi paved bike trail - I had to get out and push on several occasions). The bench overlooks the San Lorenzo River Valley that opens into Santa Cruz and the bay.




Speaking of the river, I couldn't resist wading out to take these next two shots. The railroad runs all the way into Santa Cruz on weekends.





























Into the redwood grove.














































While I was walking along this beautiful trail, the sounds of nature was broken by the unmistakable sound of cannon fire. Unbeknownst to me , there was a civil war reenactment (yes, in California, there are history buffs everywhere) going on next door, so I had to check it out.


Other pictures I wanted to include in here but blogger was being stubborn, were shots of my surfboard and such. I bought a surfboard a little over a week ago and have taking every opportunity to be out on the waves. I'll try to get a few more shots and then I'll post. That's its for now. Cheers, y'all. Erin

1 Comments:

Blogger velocibadgergirl said...

Wow! I am in awe of your scenic view out there. Indiana just can't really compare ;)

Thanks for blogging your adventures so I can live vicariously a bit through you!

6:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home