Although the name of the main blog is Tall Ship Adventures, there are many other adventures and journeys to take. This one takes a course off the water, across the country, to the small town of Santa Cruz, California, our new home. Check back here for adventures in upcoming matrimony, graduate school, and just plain cali fun. Enjoy!

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Homecoming

Hey all. This is the first of a series of posts to follow in the next few days which are a long overdue update of pictures and events. So, if you are scanning down, STOP HERE!!!

Okay. So, we left off this tale with a slight feeling of loneliness from the lack of a bedwarmer who was far away in the world of the tall ships. It was actually rather funny in a strange sort of way, because just a day or two after I posted my last, Bhodi made the decision to leave Appledore IV and come home. There were a lot of factors in his decision. To hear the details from him, visit his summer blog: www.bhodi2006.blogspot.com


Bhodi arrived back in Santa Cruz right around the same time as my second summer session finals and the mid summer Patagonia sale. So, things were very hectic for a while as I finished out the classes (which I did pretty well in), the cat warmed back to her long lost playmate, and Bhodi looked for work. He found it in the form of Captain T.C. Sheridan, sailing instructor and chartering skipper at Pacific Yachting and Sailing located in the Santa Cruz Harbor. But I'm getting ahead of myself. The pictures off to the left are of friends and us on the Express 37, Surge III. I've mentioned before the Wednesday night races known affectionately as the "Beer Cans." I had been attending them on and off through the summer, as much as school and work allowed, but with summer session over and Bhodi back in town, every week saw us down at the docks with a smile and a six pack (requirements for the races).
Sailing on Surge III is always a great time. I have to admit, while working on tall ships I had a little of an elitist attitude about seamanship and yachtsmen. But after spending some time on these smaller vessels, I've come to appreciate how much more you can learn about the finer arts of sailing. And because the crew rotates through the positions, every week I walk away with a little more confidence. That means a lot when every time I'm out on the water, I still think of the dismasting.

Beyond the shots of Surge III are shots of Bhodi on the Olson 911, Avatar. I know he would want to talk all about this sweet boat, so I'll let him take it from here... (to be continued....)

































0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home